Day One allows you to tag your entries to help you categorize and to later find specific entries more easily.
Tags can contain any character (even emojis!). Spaces and punctuation are also supported in tags.
Creating a tag is done while editing an entry. Tap the tag button, or swipe down to reveal the tag entry field. A new tag can then be created by typing the desired text and pressing Next on the keyboard when finished.
Once you have created a tag, that same tag can easily be applied to other entries.
- While editing an entry, tap the tag button or swipe down to reveal the tag entry field. You can begin typing the tag name, and autocomplete results will be shown. You can also tap the plus button to show a list of tags that can be added.
- While viewing a list of entries (e.g. Timeline or Starred views), you can swipe an individual entry and tap the tag icon. This will show a list of tags that you can use to add or remove tags for that entry.
You can remove tags from an entry in three places:
- While editing entry, tap the tag button or swipe down to reveal the tag entry field. Tap a tag and a menu will pop up with the option to Remove Tag.
- While viewing an entry, tap the tag and a menu will pop up with the option to Remove Tag.
- While viewing a list of entries (e.g. Timeline or Starred views) you can swipe an individual entry and tap the tag icon. This will show a list of tags that you can use to add or remove tags for that entry.
Capitalization is always preserved in your tags. However, tags that differ only by case are not shown as distinct tags in list views, such as the main Tags list view. In cases where there are two versions of the same tag (e.g.
Work), the version that is used the most often is displayed in list views.
When you view or edit an individual entry, you will see the original tag capitalization.
A hashtag is a string like
#Work that appears in your entry text. These hashtags are detected by Day One when you save an entry, and you are asked if you would like to have them added as native tags.
Day One can also convert all existing hashtags in your entries. Go to Settings > Advanced > Hashtags and tap Convert All Hashtags.
You can disable hashtag detection in Settings > Advanced > Hashtags.
Editing and Deleting Tags
Day One does not currently provide a batch interface for editing or deleting a single tag. You must edit or delete the tag in each entry in which it appears. The fastest workflow for removing an unwanted tag is as follows:
- From the home screen tap the Tags button
- Tap the tag you want to remove to display all entries with that tag
- For each entry in the list, swipe it and tap the tag icon. The tags list will appear.
- Tap the tag you want to remove. This will remove it from the entry.
- Repeat for each entry in the list. Once you have removed the tag from the last entry the tag itself will be removed automatically.