Our top priority is protecting your data. We have two backup methods and one sync method described in this guide: Backup and Sync options. Despite multiple efforts, sometimes users have experienced data loss.
- Please identify the version of Day One installed.
- iOS: go to Day One > Settings > About
- Mac: click Day One > About Day One (in the file menu)
2. Has a sync method been used in Day One?
Once those have been identified, please search this guide to find potential solutions.
Day One 2.0 and later on iOS or Mac
Day One Sync
Our best backup method in 2.0 is Day One Sync. If you are using Day One Sync, please sign in to the server dashboard. Do you see the expected entry count there? If not, please see the options below or contact support.
iCloud/iTunes device backups (iOS)
Your data is automatically included in iCloud device backups. These will include text and photos. Please see this article:
Automatic Text-Only backups (iOS)
- Automatic Text-only backups to iCloud for Day One iOS for version 5.8 and later
Time Machine Backups (macOS)
If you use Time Machine backups on Mac, data may be recovered this way. Day One data is stored here on Mac:
/Users/[your computer name]/Library/Group Containers/5U8NS4GX82.dayoneapp2/Data/Documents
Once that folder is located on a recent Time Machine backup, it can replace the current data on the hard drive.
Day One on Android
Day One Classic (version 1.x)
Please try these two articles (in order):
- Missing data in Day One Classic (version 1) iOS
- Missing data in Day One Classic macOS
- Recovering Entries after iCloud Data Loss
- Local backups on Mac
Dropbox officially retired API v1 as of September 28, 2017. This stops Day One Classic (version 1) from being able to sync with Dropbox.
If you have a Mac, please follow these steps:
- Download Day One 2.0 on your Mac.
- Add the app to your dock.
- Open Dropbox > Apps > Day One > Journal.dayone
- Copy that file to the desktop.
- Drag that file onto the Day One icon in the dock and your data will import.
Day One Sync