Given the ability to upgrade to new devices regularly, we want to ensure that your Day One data undergoes a successful transition from one device to the next. Here are some tips to help.
Day One Sync
If you use Day One Sync as a Plus or Premium user, this is the easiest option for transitioning to a new device. Your data is stored locally on each device and on the server. Make sure your data is currently synced by checking the server dashboard or the web app (beta) and compare the entry/photo counts with what you have on your device. Then when setting up your new device, simply download Day One from the App Store and sign into your account.
iCloud device backups (iOS only)
With a Wi-Fi network connection, you can make a backup of your device using iCloud. You don’t need to plug your device into a computer or even be at home to back up with iCloud. iCloud backups include nearly all data and settings stored on your device.
When setting up your new device, choose to Restore from an iCloud backup. You will see any/all iCloud backups made, even from other devices. Please choose the most recent backup from your previous device. Your data will be restored as it was at the time of that backup. Please see the Apple guide on restoring from an iCloud backup here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/ht204184. This guide also describes iTunes backups. That is also an option if you connect your device to a computer and backup to iTunes.
If you do not use Day One Sync or iCloud backups, there is a manual option. This is also recommended for macOS. Export your data using the JSON file type. This exports all data and media and can be re-imported into Day One. See more information here: Exporting Entries
- Go to Day One > Settings > Import/Export
- Be sure the export settings are correct to include all journals and the full date range.
- Tap Export Day One JSON.
- Then you can upload this to iCloud Drive or Dropbox.
- On the new device, download Day One and go to Day One > Settings > Import/Export > Import JSON and choose the file you uploaded.
- This will begin importing the data from that JSON.
- Click File > Export > JSON
- Save that file to an external drive that can be used on your new Mac
- On the new Mac, download Day One from the Mac App Store.
- Click File > Import > JSON Zip File
- Select the JSON you saved
If you have additional questions, please contact support by clicking the chat icon at the bottom right of this website or choose one of the other contact methods here: Contact Day One Support