Day One updates on the App Store are regularly released in phases over a period of 7 days. If you do not see an update immediately available, please note it may not be available to all users at the date of the update, but will be over the following days.
4.7 (February 5, 2020)
- Improved translations of the app in all supported languages
- Entry metadata now shows information for all media types including PDF and Audio
- Fixed an issue with entry margins being too small on iPad when in full screen
- Various bug fixes and UI updates
4.6 (January 22, 2020)
- Pull down on Timeline menu now opens the search/filter menu
- Moved Timeline search field to magnifying glass icon
- Updated font and icons for passcode buttons
- Entry time and journal name added to Entry metadata row
- Removed Timeline notification for “Nearby” entries
- Improved Sharing of media into and out of Day One
- Merged duplicate tags
- Various bug fixes and UI updates to keep your experience with Day One golden
4.5 (January 15, 2020)
- Improved state restoration for iOS 13. Continue where you left off when returning to the app
- Exporting plain text of entry will now include media inside a .zip folder
- Selective Sync now applies updates when user hits “Done”
- Improved placement of cursor when navigating between template headers
- PDFs shared out of Day One will now retain the name they had when added
- Fixed an issue where the On This Day timeline banner was showing inconsistently
- Various bug fixes and UI updates to keep your experience with Day One golden
4.4 (December 20, 2019)
- Shortcuts - We’ve rebuilt the Day One Shortcuts integration to include new actions for Create, Append, Find, Open, and Show. With new optional parameters for multiple images, template, tags, date, and location. (video and audio support coming soon)
- Custom App Icons - Now you can select from a variety of icon colors and styles
- Search and Filter now on main screen to make searching and filtering your memories easier
- Added option in new entry menu to open new entry in a new window (iPadOS)
- Share extension now allows you to upload up to 30 media files, and improves the processing time
- Updated multi-entry view for dark mode
- Email to journal can now be found on main Settings screen
- Fixed a bug that caused the app to crash when opening from notifications
- Various bug fixes and UI updates to keep your experience with Day One golden
- Fixed ability to create new entry from Icon menu
- All Templates now shown in the Template Menu regardless of what journal you are in
4.3 (November 21, 2019)
- PDF files can be added to Day One entries! Via content menu, share ext., or drag/drop into entry
- Scan documents (or written journal entries) as PDFs using the in-app scanner camera
- Streaks - view streaks for each journal (link in Journal Drawer)
- Multi-window Support for iPadOS 13 - Tap the multi-window button to open entries in a new window
- Assign tags and a journal to Templates (Settings > Templates > Edit Template > Advanced)
- Template “Next” button above keyboard to jump to next Template section, or list item
- Writing duration now saved to entry metadata. (Shared to Apple Health Mindful Minutes if enabled in Day One Settings > Apple Health)
- Support for Low Data Mode and Low Power Mode. Full resolution media will not sync if low power mode is enabled while on cellular, or if low data mode is enabled. Full resolution media will be downloaded when opened.
- On This Day previews with no media now include text summary
- Activity Feed launch performance - Location History should appear instantly
- Added advanced sync preferences to disable sync and remove encryption key
- More detailed sync status in Settings
- Launch Screen updated for Dark Mode
- Tags have been re-added to the Entry Content Menu
- Share Extension is now limited to 10 items. This will help improve reliability when sharing large media files to Day One
- VoiceOver/Voice Control labels have been updated
- Improved Media Timeline filter buttons
- Reorganized journal editor
- Settings and Templates use new modal style
- Book Printing wizard in Dark Mode
4.2.3 (October 28, 2019)
- Fixed an issue that could cause some attachments to fail to upload or download correctly.
4.2.2 (October 17, 2019)
- Drawing UI using PencilKit
- Template order is now sortable
- Pause Sync for 24 hours button (Sync Status Page)
- Dark Mode options for System, and custom schedule
- Dark Mode interface improvements
- Audio duration shown in Timeline preview
- Open On This Day entry will switch to All Entries
- On This Day filter applied when opening entry in On This Day
- Previous/Next day step buttons added to Day and Date filter bar
- Improved drag and drop on iPad when adding photos
- Auto enable Sync when upgraded to Premium
- Auto create Day One account using Apple ID if no account exists
- Entry code block/code span font now SF Mono
- Paste media now shows metadata prompt
- Tap on Activity Feed thumbnails to menu
- Long-press on Activity Feed thumbnails to see larger preview
- Activity Feed Calendar event notes included when creating an entry
4.2.1 (September 25, 2019)
- Crash when creating a new journal
4.2 (September 24 2019)
- Templates - Choose from our template gallery, or create a custom template accessible from the Plus menu, the Entry content menu, and Reminders. Synced to multiple devices (coming soon to Mac)
- Video Recording - In-app camera allows portrait and landscape video recording, with option to "Add Another Recording" once inserted into the entry
- End-to-end encryption is now enabled for every user - Key securely stored and synced using iCloud
- Entry Share Card - Share a customizable card image to Instagram Story or anywhere in the share sheet
- New font: SF Mono
- Siri Shortcuts now include Video Recording and Templates
- Startup speed greatly improved
- Photo Library media picker load time greatly improved by loading smaller sections of media
- Added Date filter applied from the Calendar view, and Timeline filter menu
- On This Day excludes entries on current day
- On This Day notification includes interactive entry preview that opens directly to single entry
- Button to "Add Another Audio Recording" shown after adding an audio recording
- Add progress indicator when importing audio
- Share Voice Memos to Day One via share extension
- Media in multi-entry view now playable
- Activity Feed photos shown larger
- Entry Metadata "Related Media" row not updated when date changes
- Media tab not updating after adding photos to entries
- Problems connecting Instagram
- Crash when changing date
- Deleting audio data causes the app to crash
- On This Day header uses system date format
- Crash when previewing book
- Quick Compose entries not saving
- PDF Exports excluding future dates
4.1.1 (August 20, 2019)
- Bug fixes and performance improvements
4.1 (August 8, 2019)
- On This Day preview now shown in the Journal Drawer (Note: Hide individual journals from On This Day in Journal Editor settings)
- .MP3 and .WAV files can be added as Audio Embeds
- Streaks show count prior to entry being created on today (Fire shown if entry created today)
- Performance improvements with typing and the editor
- Entry Editor Paperclip and Aa Icons have been swapped to match Mac UI
- Video mute button improvements
- Return to On This Day retains scroll position
4.0 (July 22, 2019)
Now with Video!
- Video (Up to 3 Minutes each, add from the Photo Library Share Extension or the in-app media picker, Premium only)
- Apple Health Integration for 'Mindful Minutes' (Time spent in Edit Mode, enable in Day One Settings, requires iPhone)
- Streaks (Days in a row with an entry) are now displayed in the Timeline Stats (per journal, and All Entries)
- Dark Mode is now available for all users
- Redesigned media picker separated days
- Timeline Stats now display Tag, Photo, Video, and Audio counts
- Scrollable journal stats on the entry timeline
3.8.1 (July 3, 2019)
- Resolves an issue where some users did not see the Email an Entry address.
3.8 (July 2, 2019)
- New Feature: Email an Entry - Send, forward, or BCC email directly to a your journal, using the provided email address found in Journal Settings. Attachments are currently not included. Works with encrypted journals. Premium Only.
- Save Contact for each journal you wish to send email to, which includes a contact image of the Day One icon in the selected journal color.
- See here: Create entries with Email
- Typing performance has been greatly improved and should be smooth while typing.
3.7.1 (June 28, 2019)
- Entry metadata now displays your location history (via Activity Feed visits) and related media (via Photo Library) and easily applied to the entry
- Import/Export Settings are reorganized
- Exports saved to iCloud Drive (accessable on your other devices) and can be re-imported directly from Settings
- Creation device icons added to Entry metadata and Timeline filter
- Activity Feed splits day and visits at midnight
- Activity Feed single-day entry option has been added back
- Bug that was preventing journals from switching between standard and end-to-end encryption
- 3D Touch on app icon > Recent Activity opens to Activity Feed again
- Photos are correctly centered in media tab on first launch
- External keyboard: Return/Enter now works with tag picker
- On This Day “Done” button stays on the screen if location is lengthy
- Prompt to use metadata will now appear when dragging in photos or using the Browse button
- Crash when using Thai keyboard suggestions
3.7 (June 5, 2019)
Instagram Importing - Our first official social media importer!
- Auto-import all existing Instagram posts into a new journal: photos, videos, description, location, hashtags (optional).
- Auto-updated with new Instagram posts.
- Not included: comments, like counts, and Stories.
- Public accounts import full 1080x1080 resolution, private accounts import 640x640 resolution.
- Tab Bar New Entry menu has icons and labels
- Activity Feed re-design
- Single Day cards, swipe to previous/next days.
- Calendar events combine with visits and photos.
- More improvements coming soon...
- Timeline cells now show list and check-list styling
- Editor has removed forced (short) lines around Headers, and embedded content
- Sync Status page has more details for entries and media awaiting upload
- App startup and restore speed
- Deleting multiple entries closes multi-entry view
- Option to set entry to current location
- Copy photos to paste in Messages (and other apps)
3.6.3 (May 2, 2019)
- Updated H6 header style
- Entry content menu (paperclip) includes 'Browse' for Files
- Media Timeline includes audio files with quick filter bar (Photo, Video, Audio)
- “Current Location” option in location editor
- Screenshots couldn’t be shared to Day One from the quick-edit menu
- Photos in the timeline flickered while scrolling
- Audio recording metadata did not display the correct time and date
- URL scheme links to Mail messages and other apps weren’t recognized as links
- Entry URLs immediately open the entry instead of showing an action sheet
- URL scheme links showed an action sheet instead of opening immediately
- Photo metadata wasn’t being applied when sharing to Day One
- The correct time and date sometimes weren’t applied to an entry
- Auto-backups were failing to restore correctly
- iPad metadata screen could be dismissed too easily while scrolling
- External keyboards weren’t recognized when creating entries from the Activity Feed
- Photo EXIF prompt wasn’t appearing in iPad split view
- The entry count in On This Day notifications didn’t match the actual count
- Code block contents not shown in Plain Text view
- Daily Prompt notifications opening to Read mode instead of Edit mode
- Crash when pasting photo/audio into entry
- URL Scheme for On This Day = dayone://thisday
- URL Scheme for Settings > Siri Shortcuts = dayone://siri
Note about Video:
We are currently working on the video attachments feature, this update includes references to video in the app, though not yet the ability to insert video files. Stay tuned for this and many new features coming soon!
3.6.2 (March 29, 2019)
- Fixed an issue preventing location edits
3.6.1 (March 28, 2019)
- Fixed an issue that could cause media to appear multiple times
- Fixed an issue that could cause YouTube links to not embed properly
3.6 (March 27, 2019)
- Journal Name is displayed large in the Timeline (with quick-edit button)
- Journal descriptions are now available and displayed at the top of the timeline
- Loading progress indicator added to Photo and Audio embeds
- Location Editor - Search for place names using Apple's built-in service (Note: Adding new, custom place names are temporarily unavailable)
- "Add file..." (browse Files) added to all Timeline Buttons (long-press), and New Entry Tab Bar Plus button
- Filter entries with photos
- Added Share button to Entry Title Bar
- App Startup and restore speed improvements
- Timeline header 3 to appear as red in the Timeline (again)
- Search results no longer show entry Markdown syntax
- Improved Tag and Place search indexing
- Audio title and Entry ID are indexed for search
- Image thumbnails had white 1px line at top
- Improved Share Extension to find original date of media
- Swipe left on Journal Drawer to open Search/Filter
- Fixed Entry share menu with external keyboard
- Full-resolution media downloads when opened in media viewer (while on cellular)
- Share Extension now converts inserted (pasted) Markdown to rich text
- Fixed diacritics removing header formatting
- Improved Code Block alignment in Editor
- Improved audio file transfer from Watch app
- Fixed duplicate entries created from the Apple Watch
3.5.1 (January 22, 2019)
- "Speech Recognition" permission prompt after being declined.
- Share extension inserting URL twice.
- Share Extension inserts cursor on new line below entry content.
- Left arrow key is now functional again
- Other bug fixes and performance improvements
- Language translations.
- URL Editor, for hyperlinked text.
- "Daily Prompt" Notification now backs off if missed for 2 days in a row.
3.5 (January 14, 2019)
Happy New Year! There's no better time than now to realize all the benefits of a journaling habit.
- Watch App works independently of iPhone. Now fully functional without a connection to the iPhone. Create entries, record audio, check-in, and all data will transfer to iPhone once a connection is re-established. (Number of entries to transfer is displayed on the main Watch app screen.)
- Activity Feed now auto-inserts place name in the new entry title.
- External Keyboard controls. Several updates to navigation with arrow keys, and keyboard shortcuts.
- Option to re-enable the App Icon Badge (red dot). Note: Enabling this will clear all notifications from the Notification Center upon App Open.
- Timeline scroll position restored when re-opening app from background
- Siri Shortcuts now open the app directly without a prompt.
- Copy-Paste Day One Drawing will retain all metadata and edibility.
- iPhone will remain awake while recording audio with dictation. (As dictation recording will end after 1 minute if device is asleep).
- Audio Player now shows time-of-day for the audio timecode, if available (ie. 4:35 PM).
- In-app Entry URLs will open on top of Entry. Rather than replace current entry.
- Audio recording with AirPods.
- Fixed: Auto-corrected text will retain auto-title formatting.
- Bug with sharing audio file from Day One.
- Fixed: Dark Mode time ticker text.
- iPad New entry action not opening the entry.
- Fixed: iPad in-app camera screen thumbnails.
3.4 (December 6, 2018)
Another major update to your friendly neighborhood journaling app. We’ve heard your requests and added a simple drawing feature, and a lot more. Happy holidays!
- Drawing. A simple way to write and sketch with your finger or Apple Pencil. (Find in the New Entry action sheet and in the entry content menu/paperclip icon. Premium-only)
- 3 Beautiful New Fonts from Hoefler & Co. Sentinel, Ideal Sans, and Whitney.
- Dynamic Photo Layout algorithm. Photos in groups are no longer cropped and adjust based on the entry width, for the best display.
- New Apple Watch App design with paged interface.
- Apple Watch Audio Recording Updates:
- Custom duration, up to 6 hours.
- Discreet Recording mode with minimal timecode.
- Force Press on Recording screen for option to Stop and Start New.
- Audio recording duration included system notification from Watch.
- Add Photos via Browse (long press on photo icons).
- PNG transparency support.
- Image sync and thumbnail generation.
- Photo and Camera buttons added to Photo Timeline.
- Full resolution now loads into Photo Viewer while open.
- Entry Photo force-press includes menu items.
- Drag and drop audio shows a line.
- Copy and Paste an audio embed will retain description and all metadata
- iPad Metadata now opens in modal popup.
- Timeline Top Navigation displays Journal name centered with “Journals” label for Drawer.
- Share Extension crash (It was a unique font setting bug).
- PDF Export has proper file extension (was using .zip).
- System Notifications are re-enabled (Sorry about that).
- Book Printing crash.
- Journal name not appearing in Timeline.
- iPad entry scroll position reset when opening another entry.
- Type passcode with external keyboard.
- We are working on a way to bring back the App Icon Badge as an option.
- Day One Premium gift certificates are available to purchase from our website.
- Join the Day One Community. A user-driven Facebook group discussing how others journal and use Day One. https://www.facebook.com/groups/DayOneCommunity/
3.3 (November 14, 2018)
Lots of improvements all around. Editor, Audio recording, and Apple Watch App, and support for new iPad Pro devices.
- Drag and drop to arrange photos in an entry, sort, and add/remove from photo groups.
- Drag and drop text, photos, and audio files from another app into an entry on iPad and other split-views.
- Pinch to zoom into a photo in Entry and zoom out from photo viewer.
- Force-press on a photo in an entry to open in Photo Viewer
- Haptic Feedback on swipe to dismiss entry, and swipe to open/close metadata.
- Added Last Edited date to Entry Metadata.
- Transcribed Audio Recording limit increased to 5 minutes (up from 1 minute).
- Audio Recording Title - insert a description for the audio clip.
- Imported audio clips will auto-insert filename as title.
- Audio embed now includes start and stop time, recording device name, and location (5:40-6:22 PM, Sara’s AirPods, Lehi, UT).
- Share Extension supports multiple audio files and applies selected audio file creation date to the entry.
- Notification sent to phone when Watch entry is created.
- Watch Audio Recording limit increased to 1 hour per recording.
- Watch Audio Recording now functions without a connection to iPhone, and transfer audio when re-connected.
- Lists no longer enforce blank lines above and below.
- List bullet alignment improved to support proper spacing at all font sizes.
- Code Block toggle lines up perfectly now.
- Improved plain text exporting.
- Copy text will copy rich text.
- Paste into Day One entry will preserve formatting.
- Export Entry to email and other applications preserves rich text formatting and photos.
- TextExpander integration is re-enabled.
- Entries no longer visible for a split second before the lock screen pops up.
- Changing Journals resets scroll position
- Japanese predictive text no longer removes text.
- Watch App opens much faster.
- App icon badge has been cleared and removed.
- VoiceOver support for Passcode screen.
- Timeline Swipe Menu includes delete action.
- Code Block text toggled to Web-view appears in Timeline.
- Fixed crash when importing JSON file.
- Re-recording Siri Shortcut Phrase within the Settings > Siri Shortcuts.
3.2.1 (October 16, 2018)
- Device no longer heats up when in Dark Mode
- Fixed Activity Feed header visual glitches
- Translation updates
- Bug fixes
3.2 (October 10, 2018)
- iPad full-screen toggle
- Apple Watch Audio Recording (up to 90 minutes per recording)
- Apple Watch Complications for Infograph face
- Moon Phase captured in entry metadata (Premium Only)
- Browse to insert an audio clip (long-press on audio icon for “Add File...”)
- Share Extension confirmation includes link to open entry in the app
- Apple Watch App Design
- Share Extension now uses rich editor
- Audio Recording length increased from 30 to 90 minutes (for non-transcribed recording)
- Photos are now stored in full resolution (no longer scaled down to 3020px)
- Tab Bar Plus button immediately shows Action Sheet (as it was prior to v3)
- Prompts for location and notification permissions now start with an in-app Timeline notification
- Edit Bar in Split View/iPad span only Entry width (no longer overlapping the Timeline)
- Missing Photos now show a Link to "Related Photos" to easily replace
- iPhone Xs Max to Use Split View Controller when in Landscape
- Creation Device Metadata now applies to entries created on Apple Watch
- Removed Welcome Screens (for new install)
- Removed Hoefler Font (too non-standard)
- Removed unused image assets (Smaller app binary)
- Removed Text Expander integration (Method no longer supported in iOS 12, now rely on the Text Expander Keyboard)
- Timeline scrolling is buttery smooth
- Paste YouTube, Spotify, Vimeo URL immediately auto-embeds (no longer requires a space)
- Edit Mode / Keyboard remains when switching between apps
- Markdown in Reminder templates now converts to rich text
- Fixed Search field constantly dismissing keyboard
- New entry no longer includes 2 new lines
- Activity Feed Entry now applys Auto Title
3.1.1 (September 19, 2018)
- Added missing translations to new features.
- Bug Fixes and performance improvements.
3.1 (September 13, 2018)
- Siri Shortcuts! For new entry, camera, and audio recording, each specific to an individual journal. See Settings > Siri Shortcuts
- New Filter for Checklist Entries
- Added support for typing Markdown links
- Markdown syntax will now auto-complete when followed by a period (in addition to space)
- Markdown bold and italics now work with underscore _
- Performance Improvements with a reduction memory consumption, CPU usage, app size, and more
- Re-enabled Handoff/Continuity
- Fixed: Back-ticks now properly retained when within a Markdown Table
3.0.3 (August 31, 2018)
Thanks for the great feedback on version 3 and the new editor.
- Insert Text below any photo. Long-press on the photo, select "Insert Text Below" to split the photo group. See Adding Photos in Day One iOS
- Performance Improvements
3.0.1 (August 22, 2018)
- Resolves an issue where accounts may have been downgraded
3.0 (August 21, 2018)
Version 3 is here! A new editor designed and built from the ground up for a superior writing experience. New features for Premium members: Dark Mode and Audio Recording! *Entries edited in version 3 on iOS cannot be edited in version 2.7.4 on Mac. Our Mac update is coming very soon!
- To Edit an entry, simply tap into the spot you want the cursor!
- 'Done' button dismisses the entry (along with swipe to dismiss).
- Editor Menu: Tap on the 'Aa' icon to replace the keyboard with entry formatting markup options, Headers, Bold, Italic, Lists, Quote Block, Code Block, Rule Line, and indents.
- Markdown support continues without all the markup, with auto converting Headers, Lists, Bold, and Italic into rich text.
- Dynamic Code Blocks: Advanced Markdown like tables and HTML are now supported via the new toggle-able Code Block. Existing content is auto-detected and wrapped in a code block, which includes a toggle button for Edit/Code view and HTML rendered view. The state of the toggle is saved to the entry, so it remembers if you want to view the code, or the rendered web view.
- Entry Content Menu: Tap on the paperclip icon for adding Photos, Camera, Audio, Tags, as well as entry metadata actions.
- Photo Groups. Photos added together now create a basic dynamic collection grid. Long press on a photo for additional options. (Photo organization is coming)
- Check Lists! Now interact with check lists in Read or Edit mode, and see a summary in the Timeline and Entry views like: "4 / 8".
- Entry Metadata view now opens via swipe up gesture or drag up at end of entry.
Dark Mode: (Premium)
- Auto toggle based on local sunset times.
Audio Recording: (Premium)
- 1-Minute Transcription Mode uses Apple’s Speech dictation service. Transcription is auto-added to the entry after recording ends.
- 30-Minute Audio-Only Mode.
- Long-press on audio record button for option to select recording mode. Default setting in Settings > Advanced.
- Import audio clips via share extension, or paste from clipboard (from Voice Memos, Voicemail, and more).
- Tab Bar Plus button now opens a new entry directly, long press for additional New Entry options
- Activity Feed is now linked in the Journal Drawer
- Performance improvements.
2.7.4 (July 3, 2018)
- Improved photo upload/download handling
- Fixed deleted journals not working as expected
Big updates coming soon!
2.7.3 (July 2, 2018)
- Fixed performance issues in Map View
- Activity Feed now remains visible behind created entry
- Minor performance improvements and bug fixes
2.7.2 (June 23, 2018)
A few minor improvements:
- Added the ability to append an email address/password to an iCloud-only Day One account
- Added an option to control your encryption key storage in iCloud Keychain (under Show Encryption Key)
- Improved image handling for moving entries
- Fixed additional journal colors applying to multi-entry views
Check out the new Facebook Group ‘Day One Community.’ It’s an amazing community of journaling fans sharing ideas and providing help to each other. Join us at:
2.7.1 (June 17, 2018)
- Added a Journal toggle to show/hide journals from 'On This Day'
- Fixed keyboard shortcuts for moving between journals
- Fixed journal scroll issue on Watch
- Encryption e2e private key saved to iCloud Keychain and CloudKit
- Various bug fixes and performance improvements
2.7 (May 30, 2018)
Lots of improvements all over the app. Make sure to check out the new filter menu and the new Apple Watch complication. Next is version 3 with a new editor, and much more!
- New Filter menu design integrated with Search
- New Apple Watch Complication for Modular Large with Current visit arrival time
- New Timeline Row Swipe design for Move, Tag, Select, and More...
- Stars are now Favorites indicated with a heart icon
- Settings button on Timeline Header
- Improved Journal Sort order syncing
- Long-press on journal for edit options
- Improved Apple Watch loading screen
- Preserve “Entry Creation Device” on Export / Import
- Improved Timeline scrolling speed!
- Performance improvements and various bug fixes
2.6.4 (May 10, 2018)
- Security improvements
2.6.3 (April 17, 2018)
- 6 New Journal Colors (for Day One Premium Subscribers)
- Bug fixes and performance improvements (including a fix for the Calendar bug)
2.6.2 (March 27, 2018)
- Fixed an issue with the Optimize Device Storage setting
2.6 (March 25, 2018)
- New Journal Picker Drawer! Much faster to switch journals with swipe on Timeline
- Apple Watch App: View list of recent visits to create entries
- Apple Watch Complication (icon to quickly open Watch app)
- Redesigned search results
- Tag filter adds toggle to match All/Any tags
- Added Scrubber for Photo Timeline
- Improved swipe to dismiss entry and metadata views
- Premium users get Foursquare locations (without authentication)
- Capture additional device info in new entry metadata
- Removed UI Sounds
- Various bug fixes and performance improvements
2.5.12 (February 24, 2018)
- Redesigned Share Extension
- International Shipping for Book Printing (Beta)
- Fixed glitch in pull to dismiss entry
- Additional Dynamic Font Size improvements
- Exclude photos from Smart Color Invert
- New Journals default to end-to-end encryption (if enabled)
- Activity Feed Location Notification adds Force Press to reveal recent locations
- Bug fixes and performance improvements
Book Printing is working and available. We are aware of some rare issues with book generation that we will continue to improve and resolve.
2.5.11 (February 16, 2018)
- A temporary release what was paused until the release of 2.5.12
2.5.10 (January 23, 2018)
- Fixed: camera cropping
- Fixed: minor crashes and various bugs
- Reminder: Print a Day One book for 2017
2.5.9 (December 20, 2017)
We've made some significant performance improvements. Everything is faster from creating entries, syncing, timeline scrolling, and more.
- Optimize Storage - Sync image thumbnails by default, download full resolution images when the entry is opened. Great for saving local device storage.
- Dynamic Type - Timeline and Entry font responds to System Font Size.
- Day One Premium Trial - Try out Premium for free for a few days.
- Sign in with Keychain credentials.
- iPad Margins
- Copy Markdown link
- Many minor issues resolved
2.5.8 (November 6, 2017)
- iPhone X improvements
- Minor bug fixes and performance improvements
2.5.6 (November 2, 2017)
- Support for Face ID to unlock
- iPhone X layout improvements
- Fixed an issue with reminders and notifications not working
2.5.5 (October 28, 2017)
- Crash for some users on start-up
2.5.4 (October 24, 2017)
- iPhone X support
- Drag and drop photos onto entries in Read Mode and in the Timeline.
- Fixed the duplicate notification bug, sorry about that!
- Resolved an issue with local backups.
- TextExpander snippets update without crashing
- Reminder push notifications don't appear after the reminder is deleted
- Sync improvements (no longer downloads/uploads constantly)
- Indent button (->) in Markdown tool bar indents on blank line
- Keyboard automatically appears when searching
- Multiple tags can be selected in Timeline tag filter
2.5.3 (October 4, 2017)
- Bug fixes
- Improved drag & drop in iOS 11 (drag to arrange photos within an entry).
2.5.2 (October 1, 2017)
- Drag & drop in iOS 11, now you can drag to arrange photos within an entry.
- Various bug fixes and refinements.
2.5.1 (September 23, 2017)
- Timeline scrolling jitter
- Various bugs and performance improvements for iOS 11
2.5 (September 19, 2017)
New features and support for iOS 11:
- Drag and Drop images from Photos, Safari, and other apps
- Drag to re-order journals (in Journal switcher menu)
- Twitter and Facebook authentication (to replace system auth removed in iOS 11)
- Share Extension fixes and improvements
- Time zone improvements
- Updated Notification framework
2.4.2 (September 14, 2017)
Sync performance improvements and fixes.
2.4.1 (September 1, 2017)
Check out the new Day One Widgets!
- On This Day (Relive moments captures on the current day anniversary)
- Nearby Entries (Quickly view entries near your current location)
- Activity Feed (Recent location visits to help retroactively journal)
Fixed in this release:
- Fixed incorrect location data in the Activity Feed
- Fixed sync issues that could cause repeated uploading or downloading
- Premium users are no longer limited to adding 10 photos in the share extension
- A few tweaks for iOS 11 compatibility (more to come!)
- Setting a passcode now more reliably hides journal content
- Various crashes and bug fixes
2.4 (August 18, 2017)
- New Activity Feed Widget (Replaces Check-in Widget)
- New Nearby Entries Widget
- Redesigned "On This Day" Widget
- Redesigned Location Editor
- Camera displays photo thumbnails
- Sync: Constantly uploading and/or downloading
- Sync: Prompt for Selective Sync when enabling sync with more than 5 journals on server
- Book Printing: Bold and Italic formatting bug
- Book Printing: Orders being accidentally cancelled
- Date/Time selector improvements throughout
- Activity Feed: Speed and accuracy improvements
- Activity Feed: Facebook posts now properly show in feed
- Activity Feed: Include 1st-frame of videos
- Tags appear in alphabetical order in entry (no longer random)
- Various bugs and performance improvements
2.3.5 (July 13, 2017)
- "Shake to undo" only shown in Edit mode.
- Location history in Activity Feed now works.
- Correct count now shown for created entries in the Activity Feed.
- Changes appear in the metadata view after making edits.
- App no longer shows data being constantly downloaded.
- Photo timeline refreshes when adding new entries with photos.
- Various book printing issues.
2.3.4 (July 7, 2017)
- Facebook can now be connected in the Activity Feed.
- "On This Day" widget no longer shows random photos.
- Photo embed code is not displayed in the Timeline.
- Performance improvements
2.3 (June 28, 2017)
- Introducing Day One Premium!
2.2.2 (June 16, 2017)
- Bug fixes
2.2.1 (June 15, 2017)
- Display of square images in Entry Read View
- Encryption interface improvements
- Entry "Creation Device" only applied on new entries (not imported items)
- Bug with photos lost from in-app camera
- A couple of crashes
2.2 (June 9, 2017)
- End-to-End Encryption is now available. Go to Day One > Settings > Journals, then select specific journals to encrypt. Learn more: http://help.dayoneapp.com/day-one-sync/end-to-end-encryption-faq
- In-app Camera: It's now easier to take photos and quickly add multiple shots to entries. And always square-cropped.
- Search: Recent searches are saved in a list for future re-use.
- Metadata Pane: Entry creation device name saved.
- Show journal color change in Settings.
- State restoration: Implemented app-wide state restoration for when the app is backgrounded or force quit.
- Show "Fetch" option in metadata pane if weather isn't set.
- "On This Day" system notifications not always appearing.
- Long tag names don't wrap.
- Entries erroneously appear "starred" when swiping left/right.
- Photo in entry disappears when using 3D Touch keyboard.
- Adding photo via 3D Touch menu doesn't include location.
- Reminders disabled even if "Allow Notifications" is turned on.
- Various book printing bugs.
2.1.10 (May 26, 2017)
- Redesigned Metadata View: Simple, quick, and more readable access to your entry metadata.
- Instagram Books: Easily import and print your Instagram photos.
- Better error handling for books that have missing or low-res photos.
- Star icon appears next to date header in Read mode.
- Extraneous temp space being used on devices.
- View Plain Text (option under the Share menu) is not scrollable.
- Other minor bug fixes and performance improvements.
2.1.9 (April 24, 2017)
Introducing Day One Book Printing!
- Beautiful design and high-quality books, starting at just $15 for 50 pages. Easy purchase with Apple Pay.
- Go to Settings > Book Printing.
- Note: Initially available in the United States only. International users can test the book creation process.
- "Show Metadata in Read View" changed to "Show Map in Read View".
- Horizontal rule added to Markdown formatting bar.
- Extra margin and metadata bar removed in Edit mode with landscape device orientation.
- Keyboard automatically hides when scrolling through search results.
- Improvements to timeline ordering of entries.
- Adding a photo and applying photo metadata doesn't update Metadata bar or date.
- Multi-select bar hidden.
- iPad: Entries viewable on lock screen.
- Crash when using the photo picker.
- Various other crashes.
2.1.8 (March 29, 2017)
- Various crashes and performance improvements.
2.1.7 (March 27, 2017)
- The metadata bar has been redesigned for greater legibility.
- The Done and Edit buttons have been redesigned to be easier to tap.
- Action sheet menu (top right corner) added to Read mode.
- Notifications & Reminders have been consolidated and improved in Settings.
- Places filter includes complete address information with listed places.
- Line-spacing is now the same between Edit and Read modes.
- "Show Map in Read View" changed to "Show Metadata in Read View."
- Various localization improvements.
- "On This Day" Timeline and system notifications appear multiple times a day.
- Keyboard sometimes overlaps "Use photo time and location" notification.
- In Calendar view, dates with entries aren't highlighted corrected.
- Search results not updating when switching to All Journals.
- Various crashes.
2.1.6 (March 3, 2017)
- Crash when including spaces in journal names
2.1.5 (March 1, 2017)
- Improved Edit and Markdown formatting bar (Swipe the bar to see more options, including bold, italic, and more.)
- Selecting text shows formatting options (bold, italic, lists, and link)
- All locations included in the Places filter
- "Nearby Entries" notification in Timeline
- IFTTT Integrations in Day One > Settings
- Date menu options (tap date header in read mode)
- Date/Time button moved to date header in edit mode (tap to reveal date/time editor)
- Progress indicator added to backup importing
- iOS status bar no longer shown in Camera mode
- Weather service updates
- Renamed "Saved Places" to "Favorites" for locations
- Tap Calendar tab to scroll back to current day
- Updated TextExpander SDK
- Share sheet shown automatically after exporting a PDF
- Localization improvements
- Location services optimizations
- Various PDF Settings bugs
- Various crash fixes
- Tapping On This Day timeline notification causes freeze and crash
- Restoring/importing a backup fails
- Photos taken with iPhone 7 have a black line on top
- Close parenthesis missing from Markdown with Instagram post added with AF
- Timeline scrubber useable on lock screen
- Entries flashed (were refreshed) when tapping check boxes in read mode
- Crash when tapping on an entry's map
- "View On This day" from Calendar not including entries from 1 year ago
- Markdown footnotes not tappable
- Dot no longer shown by Plus tab when Activity Feed is disabled
2.1.4 (February 13, 2017)
- Tag picker performance improvements
- Improved reminder notifications for Activity Feed locations
- Localization updates
2.1.3 (January 31, 2017)
- Daily visit reminders added to Activity Feed settings
- Haptic feedback added to the tab bar and other buttons
- 3D Touch added to calendar dates with entries
- Entry edit button moved to bottom of the screen with a new icon
- Related Photos/All Photos options added to photo picker in edit mode
- "Excluded Tags" option added to Import/Export
- "On This Day" link in tag/filter menu tappable with each journal
- Crashing on startup for some iOS 9 users
- Swiping between day summaries
- Activity Feed not shown in 3D Touch menu if it is disabled
- Larger search header row for improved readability
- Lag when adding tags
- "On This Day" notifications no longer shown on the lock screen
- Various other bug fixes and performance improvements
2.1.2 (January 17, 2017)
- Tab and filter bars hide when scrolling.
- Option to toggle-off "On this Day" alerts in the Timeline added to Settings. (Settings > Reminders > On this Day Alerts)
- "View Plain Text" added to entry share options.
- URL scheme for Activity Feed created (dayone://activity).
- Force-press added to pins in map view.
- "Export All Entries" from iOS does not retain separate journals.
- Photos can only be added to bottom of entry.
- Creating a new entry from a reminder doesn't apply a journal.
- Timeline visible in multitasking when passcode is enabled.
- "Appearance" settings was labeled as "Style"
- 3D Touch not working on Timeline for previewing entries.
- Journal picker button moving in edit mode.
- "Sync Photos Over Cellular" moved from "Advanced" to "Sync" in Settings.
2.1.1 (October 4, 2016)
- "Nearby" option added to the Places filter
- Changed entry sort order to chronological (beginning of the day to the end of the day) in the day summary view
- "Sync Now" button in Settings works
- Reduced app size through UI image optimizations
- Activity Feed: Crashes and performance improvements
- Notifications and reminders reliability
- Localization improvements
- Various other bug fixes and performance improvements
2.1 (September 15, 2016)
- Activity Feed: Review recent locations, calendar events, photos, and social posts for a quick and easy way to write journal entries.
- Handoff: Continue editing an entry started on other devices. (iOS and Mac)
- Selective Sync: Choose which journals you want on your devices and free up local storage space. (All data is still stored in the cloud for re-download or use on other devices.)
- Interactive Checkboxes (Markdown)
- Additional Syntax Highlighting (Markdown blockquotes and @names)
- Clicking tags in entry view sets tag filter for Timeline
- Portrait pictures displayed side-by-side
- Simplified Calendar view
- Day One Today extension split into three separate iOS 10 widgets
- Timeline scrolling improvements
- Search index improvements
- PDF Export formatting and options
- Location selection and places
- Switched to CommonMark for Markdown rendering
- Entry metadata now scrollable
- Tag menu stores previous All Journals/Current Journals selection
- Nearby locations in the location editor sorted by distance rather than name
- iOS 10 and watchOS 3 support
- Various other performance improvements and bug fixes
2.0.10 (July 7, 2016)
- Crash when launching the app on some devices
- Crash when adding multiple photos
2.0.9 (July 5, 2016)
- Toggle for including tags in PDFs
- Larger map and new pins in the day summary view
- Text now placed above images when using the share extension in the Photos app
- Various performance improvements
- Using the 3D Touch menu items causes Day One to freeze or crash
- Previous views shown on lock screen
- Camera image doesn't change to landscape when using the camera in Day One
- Crash when rotating the app to landscape while viewing Settings > Account
- 3D Touch > Last Photo not working
- Editing locations using dropped pins reverts back to original location
- Incorrect page numbering in exported PDFs
- "On This Day" map not showing all points
- Crash when changing journal in edit mode
- Freeze when creating entries from the Calendar view
- Wrong year displayed in date-range-specified PDFs
2.0.8 (June 1, 2016)
- Crash using URL Scheme
2.0.7 (May 27, 2016)
- "On This Day"—Relive what happened on this day by using filters and notifications.
- Spotlight Search—Option to search for Day One entries using iOS' Spotlight search.
- Search Filter—See entries matching your search keywords in the Timeline.
- Tags and Places included in searches
- Single-day view—Tapping a date in the Timeline shows all entries for that day (or arrow in Calendar)
- Clicking a tag in an entry enables tag filter in the Timeline
- Updated multi-select view
- Multi-entry view when tapping on map pins
- JSON file import
- PDF Settings in Settings > Export
- Long-pressing URLs in entries opens share sheet
- "Link Twitter @names" in Settings > Appearance
- Dutch translation
- Share sheet performance improvements and crash fixes
- Incorrect count and ordering of tags in tag menu
- Camera buttons overlapping status bar
- Keyboard sometimes hiding in edit mode
- Timeline not updating after adding an entry via the share sheet
- Altitude not being included when using share sheet with Photos
- Unable to scroll when dragging the selection handle
- Truncated labels for PDF settings
- iPad: Entries unselected when changing orientation
- New entries not included in search index
- Timezone not included with some entries when using saved places
- Celsius not appearing correctly for Spanish
- iPad: Crash when using split screen mode
- Touch ID issues
- Updated translations
- Various accessibility improvements
- Various crashes and performance improvements
2.0.6 (April 26, 2016)
Various bug fixes, including:
- Reduced background usage.
- Reminder templates working consistently.
- Tags not appearing when using the share sheet or reminders.
- Crashing related to bad Exif data in photos.
- AM/PM not displaying correctly for some photos.
- Animated GIF display problems.
- Share extension improvements for photos.
- Step count and activity now set correctly for photos added via the share sheet.
- Tapping the header (#) button six times now creates a header six when using the Markdown button.
- Keyboard enhancements for iPad.
- Accessibility improvements.
- Map, location, and weather are not shown if location services is disabled for Day One.
- Foreign language text no longer shown for entries created with the Apple Watch.
- Bulleted list CSS fixes.
- Share extension bug fixes.
- Photo gallery improvements.
- Sync bug fixes.
2.0.5 (April 11, 2016)
- IFTTT Channel: https://ifttt.com/day_one
- Redesigned location editor featuring "saved places" and a streamlined experience.
- Bulk editing of entry locations using the multi-select feature.
- Bulk removal of tags from entries.
- Improved scrubber for quickly using the Timeline.
- Altitude metadata now captured.
- GIF images can now be used in entries.
- Additional Localizations: Chinese (Traditional), Czech, Danish, Finnish, Japanese, and Korean.
- Bulk tag editing improvements.
- JSON export of journals.
- iPad: Option to toggle inspirational quotes on/off (Settings > Advanced).
- iPad: Smaller margins in the read and edit views.
- Step count and weather data is updated correctly when an entry date is changed.
- Adding an emoji no longer causes a monospace font to appear in edit view.
- Map control refinements.
- Reorganized Settings (Advanced and Appearance).
- RTL improvements in edit view.
- Translation edits. (Send additional changes to firstname.lastname@example.org.)
- Search index refinements.
- Auto-correct suggestions are now viewable at the bottom of the edit view.
- Unused tags no longer appear in the tag menu.
- Weather is not shown for entries without a location.
- Inspirational quotes on the iPad should no longer be cut off at the top.
- Various bug fixes and performance improvements.
2.0.3 (March 15, 2016)
- New: Day One is now localized in Arabic, Simplified Chinese, French, German, Italian, and Spanish. More languages are coming in future updates.
- New: Today extension now includes photos and statistics.
- New: Reminders now include support for journals and creating templates.
- New: Added "Copy Markdown Link" to share sheet.
- New: Ability to rebuild search index on demand. (Go to Day One > Settings > Advanced > Search Rebuild Index)
- New: Embed Spotify widget in entries.
- New: Apple ID sign in option for Day One Sync.
- Improved: Search refinements.
- Improved: 3D Touch menu options have been sorted by frequency of use.
- Improved: Keyboard is dismissed after searching.
- Fixed: Copying and pasting text from other apps now strips formatting.
- Fixed: Protective code added to prevent content from disappearing in entries when updating metadata.
- Fixed: Crash when using 3D Touch > Last Photo.
- Fixed: Map location no longer erratically changes while editing location.
- Fixed: Various bug fixes and performance improvements.
2.0.2 (February 17, 2016)
- New: Support for using hashtags to add tags to entries.
- Improved: Multi-select refinements.
- Improved: iPad refinements and crash fixes.
- Improved: Stats in Timeline view now show "days".
- Fixed: Passcode issues.
- Fixed: Apple Watch quick entry fixed for reminders.
- Fixed: Various performance improvements and bug fixes.
2.0.1 (February 10, 2016)
- New: Keyboard Shortcuts for iPad.
- New: Plain text export of single entries.
- New: Multiple photo support to Photo Gallery.
- New: Journal support to URL Schemes.
- New: Added copy URL and basic URL rendering for entries. (Look for "Entry URL" option under "More" in the metadata sheet.)
- New: Fahrenheit/Celsius toggle in Settings > Advanced.
- Improved: RTL language support.
- Improved: Accessibility support (lock screen and elsewhere).
- Improved: Map refinements.
- Fixed: Flickering Journal counts in journal picker when initially syncing.
- Fixed: Blank journal (no entries shown) when doing initial import from Classic.
- Fixed: Issues that could cause *perceived* journal and entry duplication within the UI. (dayone.me will show the correct journal/entry count, but the device doesn't).
- Fixed: Weather not shown if data not available.
- Fixed: Modified exif data will now be used.
2.0 (February 3, 2016)
- Multiple Photos per entry (up to ten inline photos)
- Multiple Journals (up to ten journals with unique colors and names)
- Day One Sync 2.0
- Map View
- Custom Reminders
- Entry Management (select, move, tag, and delete multiple entries at a time)
- Timeline Filters (star, tags, location, year, activity, and music)
- Timezone Support
- 3D Touch
- Local, Exportable Backups
For Day One Classic (version 1) release notes, please see here.